Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Get good soon...

When I'm trying to convince a class full of teenagers who really don't give a shit that there is, actually, a difference between "good" and "well," I often remind them that there is no such thing as a "get good soon" card.  But frankly, I don't give a flying fuck if you want to call it good or well, just as long as some time in the near future, I can have a day or two of being in reasonably good health.

A couple of months ago it was the bizarre torso/boob rash from hell that none of the doctors could figure out. And now it's the cough that won't end. I hate to just keep upping the ante on medication, but have gone from OTC to antibiotics and now am on a steroid (Prednisol?)  plus a super-fly cough syrup with codeine.  The combination gives me wicked night sweats, and last night I literally (yes, literally) had to change the sheets twice after waking up soaking wet.  (Either that or I grew some phantom male parts and enjoyed my first nocturnal emissions.)

Enough with the old lady health woes.

Soph is spectacular.  She's in the school play (based on School House Rock...love it) and is one of the capital kids in the "Only a Bill" song. She's also ass deep in Girl Scout Cookie sales.  Other than a minor incident with some nail polish and her bathroom counter, we're getting along great.

And she still keeps growing up, no mater how many weights I pile on her little head.

The older your kids get, the more you start to get your life back, but frankly, who wants it?  By the time they're big enough that you have chunks of time for actual living, you've forgotten what to do with them, or you've gotten to old or rigid to do them justice. 

Honestly, I think I'd much rather cuddle and read Olivia Forms a Band and make Care Bear costumes and even do all the kid wiping (noses, butts, etc.) than try to truly understand and engage in most of shit going down in the world today.  Two little girls and only one crown at the play date?  That problem I can solve. National health care reform?  Fuck if I know.

Today's best thing about being a mom: Planning and making dinner together.

Today's worst thing about being a mom: Failing to keep us both at a more healthy weight.

1 comment:

amandak said...

I love you so.