Tuesday, January 02, 2007

This is the part where...

When the alarm woke me up this morning, I very nearly began to cry. Two weeks of vacation went by in the flashiest of flashes. Exit sleeping in, playing with cousins, big-sister bonding time, home-made candy and cheese ball, and time to clean the house. Enter a hurried snuggle with Soph, followed by scraping ice off of the car with a credit card and no gloves in the wee hours of the morning, dealing with surly teenagers, catching up on grades (the WORST part of being a teacher), and knowing that the hurricane of 3 people fleeing the house this morning awaits me when I get home today. Sigh-a-nara Christmas.

Best images of Christmas break: (Mandy has most of these as real pictures, so badger her to post them asap.)

  • Soph flopped on her back in the snow, making yet another snow angel
  • Zack chanting "Trudge, trudge, trudge, trudge" with a huge grin on his face, making his way through the thigh deep (for him) snow in the back yard of the little house Mand rented for the week.
  • Happening to glance into the evergreen tree in same back yard, and spying a minuscule screech owl totally kickin' it mellow style.
  • Jimmy leaping through the show to catch his frisbee, and landing in a spray of sparkly white.
  • Madeline in her St. Lucia ensemble, reading her part in the Smith family Christmas program (which was complete with unexpected and hilarious interruptions by the Wack-a-Mole game and an accidental fart.)

As a whole, Christmas Vacation, or rather, Winter Break was awesome. Having Mandy and her kids here was, well, awesome. The kids got along SO well, and really, there are few things in the world that beat just spending time doing nothing with my best friend/big sis. The 3rd annual Karaoke in Kannaraville was, again, awesome. A little mild debauchery once a year is such a good thing. I rocked a couple of my classic Karaoke numbers, and once again talked E into his once a year rendition of "Sweet Caroline."

Of course, Soph much prefers the little parrot she got in her last Happy Meal to any of her Christmas presents, and I truly do hate taking down the Christmas tree, so I'm not completely without things to bitch about.

Today's best thing about being a mom:
Morning snuggles

Today's worst thing about being a mom:
Taming the bed-head

4 comments:

shawnak said...

I am suffering the back to school/work blues from the awesome vacation of Winter Break as well. Damn those 12 days flew by! But hey Spring Break is around the corner(or so I kept telling myself when the alarm went of at 6 am).
Beautiful memories

NME said...

It sounds like you had an amazing winter break. Those cousin memories are priceless and I was able to flashback to a few of my own.

amandak said...

Hey sweetness, I emailed you, did you get it?

lonna said...

Sorry about the back to work letdown. I'm feeling that a little myself. I'm so glad you got to soak up family goodness instead of some of the crap that holidays can dump on people.