Thursday, May 05, 2005

Separation Trauma

I'm leaving tomorrow for a couple of nights to meet up with my sister (yay!). We've both decided that the only way to have a Mother's Day that doesn't totally suck is to be as far away from our children and spouse as possible. No offense meant to said children or spouses but there's just something about Mother's Day that makes me at least feel like the worst mother in the world. I get all passive aggressive and moody and then end up getting pissed at Erik for some stupid thing, and the whole day ends up in the shitter. So this Mother's Day, I'm going to be hundreds of miles away from the fruits of my loins and her father.

That said, I'm always worried about leaving Sophie overnight. Something kind of snaps, and I start over compensating. Even though I'll only be gone for two nights, I just went to the store and bought groceries for a freaking army. It's not like her dad can't find the store, and chances are they'll eat out most of the time anyway. I'm washing all of her clothes and cleaning the house. It's actually really pissing me off. I wanted to find a little time to blog before leaving and for fuck sake, she's climbing up my leg and whining and telling me that she's "double sick" and the laundry is buzzing and the groceries need put away and I'll be really glad to get in my car tomorrow and drive AWAY!

Today's best thing about being a mom:
Ummm. Shit. Can't think of one. Well, how about how nice it is when she STOPS WHINING!

Today's worst thing about being a mom:
Never-ending guilt

3 comments:

Katy said...

Simmer down honey, Sophie's fine and will be fine and you don't have to be around her for the next three days so just relax. Besides you know when you get back you'll be totally thrilled to see her so just think about the three days from now joy instead of dwelling on the right now terribleness. Though you are totally entitled to be annoyed.

NME said...

Sophie and Dad could probably could use some time to themselves too. And when you return and see how much they need and missed you - well that is the best Mother's Day gift of all. I hope you have a wonderful time!

hazel said...

I envy you. I hope you have an excellent time, and I hope you can shed the guilt after you get in the car and leave....HAVE FUN!