Saturday, October 29, 2005

Weekend Update

Just a quick update on the weekend so far.

Friday morning I woke up SICK!! Sore throat, eyes red and runny, headache. Fuckity fuck-o-rama. So I ran into work (at 6:30 A.M.!) to get some things ready for a sub, and to call a sub. One of the worst things about teaching is getting up sick, and realizing that you have find a sub.

So--I spent 40 minutes arranging things so that a sub could understand them (note to self. MUST get a generic sub plan ready. It's only been 5 fucking years now.) and then called 4 different subs. No luck. I started to bawl. I really was sick as a dog, and sitting on the phone begging people to take my class was NOT on my list of things to do at that moment.

So I called my principal's cell and left a message--saying that I was sick, that I'd tried to get a sub without success, and that I was going back to bed.

Came home--had a fight with Erik where I TOTALLY lost it and became down right verbally abusive--and then laid down on the floor to cry for a while, the whole time fretting about my kids showing up for class and finding no teacher there.

About 15 minutes later, the sweet sweet sped teacher called, told me that she was taking my 1st period class, and that she was looking for a sub for me, and for me to get my ass in bed. I LOVE FORREST NORLIN.

So--Soph went to school, Erik went to work, and I went to bed.

Today I'm feeling marginally better. I went to the doc and got oral and eye drop antibiotics. (My eyes hurt so bad I can't wear my contacts, and as Soph broke my glasses 2 years ago, I have been BLIND for 2 days.) We can't go to my pal's Halloween party tonight, which sucks, and well, that's about it.

Today's best thing about being a mom:
This is one of those days when it's hard to choose one of these. OK. Animal crackers?

Today's worst thing about being a mom:
Watching "Caillou." It you haven't seen this show, count yourself lucky. Damn. That is some mind numbingly boring yet intensely annoying shit.

2 comments:

NME said...

I'm SO sorry you are sick. And Soph is sick too. Sounds like it was a trying weekend. I hope everyone is feeling much better today.

I can't believe you have to find your own sub. When I taught you just called in sick and they made sure your classes were covered.

hazel said...

that SUUUUUCKS!! and I had no idea teachers had to find their own subs. but I laughed at the word "sped".

I too had a horrible fight with my husband on saturday. must've been the day for such things.