In honor of my big sis's birthday tomorow, (it's my first day back full time at school, and the first day of the new semester tomorrow--so I probably won't get a chance to post) here are 32 random things about the queen of the Krause House. (Seems like not too long ago, I was so jealous of those 18 months she has on me. Not so much anymore. ;)
1. Don't get behind her at the salad bar. She's known to pick her lettuce a leaf at a time, and to consider with great seriousness every other item she puts on it.
2. When she orders a sandwich at a restaurant, she has to disassemble it, and then reassemble it with everything in perfect order, and in perfect balance.
3. She's VERY opposed to her eggs having ANY slime on them.
4. Girl can DANCE!
5. Mand won some impressive award for math in elementary school. Can't remember what it was, but it was a big deal.
6. Queen Krause is a big time reader. She introduced me to all of my favorites: Anne McCaffrey, Robin McKinley, Robert Heinlein, Tamora Pierce.
7. Not only that, but she's an excellent cook! My personal favorites are her brisket and tiramisu.
8. Her hands are very elegant and delicate to the point of looking and feeling very fragile. Whenever I hold her hand, it makes me want to put some mittens on them to protect them.
9. She enjoys the "good stuff." cashmere sweaters, Tanguray gin, salon hair products, etc.
10. Mand has been practicing yoga for 10ish years, and is currently working toward becoming a certified yoga instructor.
11. She is a cookie decorator extrordinaire.
12. When we were little, we both complained that we had been given no middle names. Dad dubbed her "Amanda Lou Gene." I only recently realized that one of the reasons "Sophie Gene" resonated with me so deeply was because I was giving her Mand's pseudo middle name. (In case you were wondering, I was/am Rebecca Sue Ann.)
13. Mandy rarely, if ever, looses anything. (Unlike me. I've turned loosing things into an art.)
14. Once when she got a speeding ticket, she waited until the middle of church, and told my dad about it via a note. Pretty clever, actually. During the years that she and I were stuck in church together, we filled up the program with notes (how I wish we had saved those) and played thousands of rounds of the "dot game."
15. Her lips are perfectly shaped.
16. Traveling makes her irregular.
17. She and I dated at least 10 of the same guys--but rarely simultaneously.
18. She looks amazing in red.
19. Enjoys listening to raunchy hip-hop music.
20. Is a huge Prince fan
21. Hit a rocky patch where she dated several unsavory--and unworthy guys, one of whom went by "Griz"
22. Has never been a smoker of cigarettes
23. Thinks the Wiggle Anthony and Joe of Blues Clue's are kind of cute
24. Enjoys Ben and Jerry's Strawberry Cheesecake ice cream
25. Is a darn good skier
26. Likes graham cracker sticks dipped in strawberry cream cheese.
27. Mandy helped me pay for my first car.
28. Has become an excellent painter (of walls and such)
29. Has fond, rather than nightmarish, memories of middle school.
30. Worked the drivethrough at McDonalds for a while during college
31. Was actually married AFTER her little sis (I married 7 months before she did)
32. Never cleans her plate.
So--I've inevitably left the most important things out. If you know Madame Krause, leave a detail or two in the comments here, and of course, drop by her blog today or tommorow to wish her a happy birthday!
Today's best thing about being a mom:
Blowing raspberries in her belly button
Today's worst thing about being a mom:
That girl will not listen. I told her she could NOT get into my nail polish yesterday. Today she painted the bathroom wall with it while I blogged this list. Then--after I spanked her butt, she sobbed, "It was a present for you Mommy!" This as after last night, when she drew all over the table with green crayon and I told her crayons and markers and paint are for PAPER ONLY. (An update, 30 minutes after I posted this--purple marker, on her bedroom wall. I don't want to beat my child--ok, I kind of do--but I cannot figure out a way to get her to DO WHAT I SAY. I think she's doing all of this on principle. I'm totally stumped.)