Saturday, February 18, 2006

This is the way we wash our clothes.

So--Erik, Janzen, Sophie Gene and I are all sitting at the table, eating oatmeal. Soph has her requisite 3 bites and says she's full. I excuse her from the table, and she jumps off her chair, and starts tearing around in her pink fuzzy footie pajamas.

I see her disappear into the bathroom, then come out with the water bottle E had left in there after his run this morning, and trot into the family/living/play/tv room. (My house is very small.) I think, "Ok--water. She can't make any huge messes with that," and go back to eating my oatmeal. (My family thinks I make "Special Oatmeal" as in, "Boo--will you make that special oatmeal for breakfast?" I just use old fashioned oats, use 1/2 water and 1/2 milk, add a handful of raisins and some brown sugar, and cook is on the stove for 10 minutes. I guess that makes it special.)

Then I hear her singing "This is the way we wash our clothes, wash our clothes, wash our clothes. This is the way we wash our clothes on a cold and frosty morning." I smile to myself, and think how cute it is that she sings to herself all the time. A few seconds later, she comes streaking by--naked. Again, no surprise, so I don't pay very close attention. There have been no crashes, no bangs, and she hasn't opened the refrigerator--so I figure everything is kosher.

I finish my breakfast--and start cleaning up. The milk in one hand, and juice in the other, I head for the refrigerator, where I see this.











Soph runs in naked as I'm taking her soaking wet panties and sock off of the refrigerator and shrieks, "NO!! This is the way we DRY our clothes on a cold and frosty morning!!" So--there they remain--drying--on my refrigerator--on this cold and frosty morning.

Today's best thing about being a mom:
Apparently, Sophie is on her way to doing her own laundry.

Today's worst thing about being a mom:
Wondering what's next

8 comments:

~A~ said...

What's next? You need to go back and revisit Pixie's wanna be a chicken story and prepare yourself for the worse.

Although I have to admit I haven't found any laundry on the fridge door, only inside.

BTW, I like oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar too. Or the frozen berries in leu of the raisins.

Heather said...

Very cute story!! She seems to be always doing something "creative."

rob said...

Color me slain.

Can I have Sophie's autograph? I'll pay top dollar.

lonna said...

I hate to admit this in such a public forum, but my mother tells this story about me. I think I was 3 or 4. Once I woke up and went to the bathroom to pee. Apparently I didn't make it, so I went back to my bedroom and put my wet panties back into my underwear drawer. I then took out a new pair and put them on. I guess I thought that if I put the panties back no one would know. I do like that I was smart enough to put on new ones. So I guess that dealing with semi-washed panties on the fridge isn't as bad as that.

hazel said...

wait - isn't that seriously the way you dry your clothes on a cold and frosty morning? cause it's how I do mine.

the beige one said...

what is this "laundry" you speak of?

I prefer the worn once = thrown away school of thought.

shawnak said...

That is soooo cute, and what's next is teenage angst and boys! Cherish half washed clothes on the fridge and more and more songs of cold and frosty mornings

mrs. awesome said...

my mom makes oatmeal that way too. BAH on the instant crap!