Sunday, June 12, 2005

Crash and burn

Sophie Gene is currently laying in bed, exhausted, with a 1/4 inch long, maybe 1/8 inch gouge in her head. I am currently wearing a shirt that is covered in blood, tears, and snot. Here's what happened.

The clan was all gathered at my mom's house for Sunday dinner. My mother has a very simple love language--she feeds people. Dinner at her house is always a meal of feast-like proportions. Today, with my sis's family back in town, Sunday dinner was to be an event. Roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, broccoli with cheese sauce, fruit salad, 2 kinds of pies, rolls, etc. So, I was standing at the kitchen island cutting up broccoli, and I looked into the living room to see Sophie and Madeline playing on the Lazy Boy. I thought to myself, "That doesn't look very safe," and for some asinine reason, took no action.

I then heard Aunt Katy saying, "Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh" in that way that people do when they know something bad is about to happen but can't do anything about it. Then the crash. Then Sophie bawling in my arms, me thinking that she had a few bumps from falling off of the chair, but nothing serious. Then I smelled that unmistakable metallic blood smell. I looked down, and saw that some of her hair was becoming saturated with blood. I did not faint. I did not scream. I sat down immediately with her in my lap so as not to do either, and waited for the cavalry to arrive, and it did.

My only job was to hold her tightly, crooning into her ear that she would be fine, while Aunty Kate took out Sophie's pony tail and Mandy gently pulled Sophie's hair away from the wound and clipped it out of the way. My mom helped wipe the blood off until we could see the very tiny cut. Erik sat by me, patting me while I patted Sophie, and my sweet step-son kept me supplied with cold washcloths to hold on the cut.

The whole experience totally did her in, and after about 15 minutes, she started begging to go home, so home we came. I'm checking on her about every 3 minutes, because all though I'm 99% sure she doesn't have a concussion, I still don't think I should have let her go to sleep. Erik is going to bring me home a plate. Although I'm absolutely sick about Sophie, a part of my brain is still being very self serving, and hoping that he doesn't forget to bring me a piece of pie.

Today's best thing about being a mom:
I'm so grateful to have so many helping hands around when I need them.

Today's worst thing about being a mom:
I feel like a complete fucking moron for not telling those girls to get off of that chair. I don't know what's wrong with me. I totally saw her accident coming, but didn't stop it. Some mistakes are forgivable, but not the ones that end up with bleeding babies.

4 comments:

NME said...

It seems life is a series of bumps and bruises and all we can hope for is that they aren't too severe - and we have the helping hands when we need them. Our love to poor Sophie and her sore head.

Marksthespot said...

True dat. We've cut Noah in solidarity.

Katy said...

I think we all saw it and thought, that doesn't look very safe. I was closest, I should have grabbed her. In a room of seven adult types, how do babies still end up bleeding? very traumatic. Glad she's better, hope she's not broken, or I am so gonna open a can of woop ass on gravities...uhm...ass...

Anonymous said...

Oh sweetie, shit happens. Climbing precocious girls get injured. From everything I've heard and seen of Ms. Sophie, she will mend in a flash and be back to her old pranks in no time. Man, I want to see her. I need a visit to Cedar (staying quietly and anonymously in a hotel of course).

CDub